Monday, March 7, 2011

WAIT- WHAT: Kim Kardashian's Single ... Is Not Terrible?

A stirring sensation beacons you to the hall; you know it's coming, creeping- ever closer. Pangs of discomfort wring your backside as sweat drips from your brow- relief is in sight, it's so close, just a little longer, almost there ... 

The anticipation of the dump

I've carried quite a mental load these past few weeks, especially since it was announced that the people working for Kim Kardashian, the tan socialite famous for her many priceless contributions to Western Civilization, would be releasing a single. 
I could just imagine all the punny things I would say and snotty jokes I would make upon hearing it:

"Kim's new single will have you "Kardash-ing" to the restroom"

"A music career just wasn't in the Kards for her"

"'The Keeping Up With The Kardashians' star will keep you up all night from her shi**y music"

That's what I expected, but the wait is over and, suddenly, my mind is feeling a little bound up; the song is actually ... kind of g o o d. And I'm not even being 75% sarcastic.


Maybe I'm just a sucker for dark electronic stuff, but the music itself is pretty cool; definitely a step above your standard conveyor-belt pop song. The beat is interesting throughout (this is coming from a metal drummer) and the pseudo-guitar riff that drives the choruses is sort of epic. Not this epic:


But epic nevertheless. Of course, there's a ho whimpering into fish tank on top of all of this, but it's by no means a deal breaker. Kim even has some pretty creative lines in the track:
Rolling Stone; www.rollingstone.com
"I bet your heart is racing like the NASCAR"


Miss South Carolina would approve. Unfortunately, this song is also quite indicative of the fact that Jay-Z's D.O.A. (Death Of Auto-Tune) campaign never quite caught on. Then again, that would probably spell the end of pop music and deluded socialite culture as we know it.

I could probably live with that. 
Any way, I tip my hat to Miss K. for money well spent and a job competently forged. Not bad, not bad at all.
*     *     *

... Wait, this is the song?


... Ohhhhhh ... (bangs head repeatedly on desk).

1 comment: