Friday, January 14, 2011

Blogging is Sewwww Conformist: Why the Hell I'm Doing This

I like to consider myself a reasonably free-thinking individual; the kind of person who can look at something like this and realize that myself, two minutes into the future, would most certainly kick my ass for subscribing to it:



Sure the trends had me in their grasp during the days of Pokémon, wheely backpacks, and Limp Bizkit tracks, but, for the most part, I think I've learned to separate myself from the more unreasonable whims of society. Enter the plight of the blogger.

As a free thinker (mounts high horse), the idea of self expression comes up quite often; which ideas to express to whom, how to express them, blah blah blah. Okay; I'm not that much of an airhead, but even I have to admit that blogging has gotten a little trendy. 

We all want to feel important; like what we all do and say really matters; like there's someone somewhere out there to hear us gush about:


how cute our dogs are


how inspiring our poetry is


and how important we are.

It's mankind's existential quandary at its most accessible. Well, I'm just here to say that I don't think I am that important. I'm just some angry musician who has learned (with or without a court order) to channel his every day frustration into a semi-productive soapbox for talk about music, society, and other things I'm far too good natured to desecrate in public. If I can also help a deserving starving artist in the process, all the better.

So ... just to clear some things up:
-I don't gaze at myself flexing in the mirror as I write these posts
-I don't have a row of girls cheering me on as I type them (not a whole row at least)
-I don't think I'm better or wiser than any one else (just have better taste)
-This is me doin' my thang and if you'd do me the honor of reading my work and perhaps even the high honor of following the blog (not in a conformist sense, just the terminology here) I'd be so very grateful.

So in a sense, yes, this might be me taking part in a big trend of sorts, but, you know what, sometimes conforming can be the least conformist thing you can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment