Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Let's Get Something Straight-

Hello friends,

I must confess that on this day I find myself a bit perturbed. Earlier this afternoon I had a friendly chat with some nice fellows I hadn’t seen in some time and through our discussion I noticed a disturbing trend concerning the state of the modern music industry. This trend isn't some sudden influx of homogenous acts that endlessly ape each other’s sounds [1] and it certainly isn’t the subliminal injection of transhumanist and totalitarian political agendas into pop music [2] or anything of the sort. Get real, girlfriend; this is a serious problem we're talking about here-

Young people, it seems, have acquired this ludicrous notion that the music industry is a business without principle. Well, you know what I have to say about that?


Major record labels today have principles coming out of their metaphorical ears. If you have a q-tip and an open mind you can see them too. The American music industry of the present is a (no pun intended) sound institution guided by many hearty principles like: money, sales, profit, gains, earnings, and I could go on, but, by now, I think you surely see the point. The music industry isn’t some lifeless, heartless force that’ll do anything for buck, rather, it’s that friendly Wall Street stockbroker, not looking to wrong anyone, just trying to make his honest share.

"Listen Bud, if I sign the next LMFAO I'll be able to buy groceries for a whole week."

At the end of the day, we’ve all gotta eat. It isn’t fair to hold the folks at record labels to a different standard (I'm sure the bands that get kicked to the curb after their follow-up singles tank will manage somehow). Have some heart; corporations are people too.*

 *actually, they are, under American law [3].

No comments:

Post a Comment