Friday, January 28, 2011

A Good Indication That This Semester Will Blow-

Philosophy is totally kewl; 

The big words,

The lofty ideas,

The epic facial hair.

Prominent Intellectuals of the German Tradition/Mustache Quarterly Covers Over the Years

How very wise of me to major in this field of vast real world application. I can't say that the nine classes I've taken thus far have been a total waste of time, but I'd be lying if I didn't at least call them a large waste of time

You know those commercials where the advertisers painstakingly convince you that something that has never bothered you once in your life is suddenly a problem; a problem that they so conveniently have a solution to? Throw in some choice words like comported and historicity and that's more or less what the introductory chapters of most philosophy texts are like.

Comfort Wipe: cause' wiping your ass is such a hermeneutical crisis


I don't want to sound unscholarly here, but frankly there's only so much enlightenment I can mentally manage in a day's time. I try to wrap my head around the loftiness; I try to grasp the pretension, but the fact is, I usually need some kind of an aid to protect my modest brain from it's presumably high risk for an aneurism. 

In the past I've had great luck with teachers explaining material ad nauseam and finding sites that put in layman's terms, that which should have always been in layman's terms, but I might actually be screwed now. 

Martin Heidegger, in addition to being a Nazi sympathizing douche (see, this isn't a totally random post, douchebags are a big deal here!), also writes with all the clarity of a pot roast. That's not even the problem, though; the problem is that the best aid I've found thus far is Xzbit's brief explication of Heidegger's watershed text, Being and Time. 

[1]
Boy, would I rather have my car pimped than read another sentence about existentia, essensia, and existentialia. 

Yup, this semester is going to blow.

*     *     *


Stay tuned for my next exciting post (after I figure out the true meaning of my being with regard to the ever present temporal conditions of our worldly environment- could be a while ...).






[1] Philosophy Bro

No comments:

Post a Comment